Saturday, 25 September 2010

Why I became a hooker



September has been one of those months. Firstly Elby filled the diesel van up with unleaded petrol. Then Calfy took a train with a prebooked £8 fare and had to pay £89 excess because she didn't have her railcard on her. Poppy needs more surgery (on her other ear this time. At least her ears should match afterwards) Then I step on my specs, bending the frames beyond repair....

So, last Saturday I wandered up to the old part of town, determined to learn a new skill, a long held desire, not really planning to profit by it, only to give myself something to do with my hands other than slapping the side of my head.....

I bought a crochet hook and some yarn and to my surprise, produced these by the end of the weekend! It is easier than knitting by a long way, mainly because you can see pretty much straight away when you have gone wrong and wind back. I got all the instructions on Youtube; there are hundreds of people out there who want you to learn how to make a granny square!



Elby is of course very excited that I might make him one of these

or one of these


Pig was less excited when I showed him this


I have made progress and Elby is looking forward to a full set of coasters...


I even taught Calfy to do it last night...





Here are some inspiring crochet creations to keep me persevering :-)





13 comments:

Scrobs... said...

Blimey Lils, I couldn't click on this any quicker!

Pah!!!

And here's me, just having shortened the sleeves on my best jersey, because it interfered with my sense of touch.

I like ths car cosy though, very chic!

Elby The Berserk said...

The young lady in the fishnet - are you sure that that is crochet?

Nick Drew said...

I don't know Elby; but what time can she get here ?

Raedwald said...

Yes, you have to look at that photo for a very long time to be sure ....

Blue Eyes said...

This is top drawer blogging, I must say.

:-))

Electro-Kevin said...

Perhaps you could crochet little warmers for bongs.

You could do them in Rasta colours.

lilith said...

Careful Scrobs, I may have to make you a waistcoat...

Thank you Blue...I am working on a dishcloth at the moment :-)

Is that what those funny shaped crocheted warmers are for, Kev?

rvi said...

Oh No!!! Our Lil has come over all crotchety!! We need a new anti-crotchety quango immediately.

lilith said...

It is too late, Resident. It is already out of control, Calfy has nicked my pink and purple yarns and I have embarked on a dolly blanket.

I am going to make an Ed Miliband doll.

Trubes said...

When I read you headline Lils, I thought for one moment, you'd become 'a lady of the night'...but crocheting, gracious me!
Your samples look very professional...well done...i must say i rather liked Pig's coat, but a bit effete for him, probably more suitable for Poppy, Pig would probably suit the colour of British Racing green, with a cream flash on either side.
You've certainly had a bad month, and i thought August was supposed to be a wicked month....Well it was, according to the irish writer, Edna O'Brien!


Di.xxx

lilith said...

We weather the storms, Trubes, and in spite of the rain, today was the best for a while :-) Calfy passed her driving test!

Woman on a Raft said...

I wonder if that's a very young Paul Eddington in the string vest?

http://www.robinhood-tv.co.uk/mag10/Paul%20Eddington1.JPG

lilith said...

Good Grief WOAR, that's quite a spot! Uncanny if not...