Saturday, 29 May 2010

Dennis Hopper

Easy Rider and Blue Velvet are the films everyone remembers Dennis Hopper for. I probably wouldn't make an effort to see either film again.

True Romance however is a different apple. It is a grisly but highly entertaining film. Scripted by Tarantino, and directed by Tony Scott, Ridley's bro, it is probably the best work Tarantino has done. Hopper only has a small part, but he makes it count.

Along with Christopher Walken, Hopper is superb in this scene. He knows he is going to die, and he doesn't want to give up his son. So he mouths off..... Exquisite.

I have uploaded the 10 minute clip here but there is a 5 minute version if you can't bear the tension build up. Not for the squeamish or politically correct.



RIP Dennis, and thanks for all the entertainment.

9 comments:

Scrobs... said...

Wow!

All I can say Lils!

Thud said...

I'd forgotten this scene...superb.

rvi said...

Brilliant!

Nasty wuff men...

lilith said...

Scrobs, I hope you could sleep after watching that...

Isn't it superb, Thud?

Nasty wuff men indeed RVI. James Gandolfini is even nastier and wuffer later in the film.

Electro-Kevin said...

Balls of steel.

I'd be a complete wuss in the same situation. I'd hate to be put to the test - but now I know what to do.

Wind them up so much that they blow your head off.

Ms Smack said...

That was fantastic. Thanks :)

call me ishmael said...

I won't look at that, thanks, I have enough horrors of my own but on the subject of Easy Rider, appeciation may depend on when we saw it. On its release there hadn't been anything like it, a proper film with The Weight as part of the soundtrack, heroes openly smoking dope, dropping acid and dealing narcotics, crashing and burning, they and their cool motorcycles destroyed, shockingly, by mainstream redneck brutality which, given the opening scene made the whole thing, somewhat contradictorily, a morality play.

I left the Gaumont in a state of shock; someone, Hopper, had fucked-up the convention of the happy ending, replacing it with psychedelic horror, a fashionably jangly twelve-string adding an eery coda. A few years later, of course, such things were cinematically commonplace; in it's own time, however, it was magnificently iconoclastic.

lilith said...

I do hope you are never in that situation Kev :-)

Hi Ms Smack :-) You're most welcome.

Mr Smith, when I blogged it, I thought "This isn't one for Ishmael"

Yes, I didn't see Easy Rider in context, and probably only saw it for the first time this century. It is a special film, given the vintage, but I wouldn't watch it again because it made me unhappy.

I once showed True Romance to a disastrous boyfriend. He thought I was trying to tell him how much I dig violence! How deep was he? Perhaps it was wishful thinking.

idle said...

Easy Rider was execrable stuff and you are right to highlight another film of his, lil.

He first came to my attention in Apocolypse Now, that masterpiece of confusion.

Interestingly, his imdb page tells us he was also in Cool Hand Luke, True Grit and Hang 'em High.