Wednesday, 4 November 2009

The house my great grandpa built


Scroblene has posted about his father and uncle building the houses he grew up in/next to. It made me think of posting this, which is the house my great grandfather built and my grandfather, and father and a multitude of great aunts and a few uncles all grew up in. They were farmers, mainly hay and sheep. The place is close enough to the sea to have been flooded by a tidal wave once, ruining the land for years. Sadly neither my father nor any of his three brothers took to farming and eventually it was sold after my grandfather and step gran died. I last visited when I was nine, and it had a red roof back then. Otherwise the view is the same. My dad brought us all over to England when I was 4 and now I am more English than the English (except that I still have that terrible colonial habit.. you know the one, a lack of pre-verbal censorship: things that would remain unspoken by any self respecting English woman, pop out ...)

Check out the views here: Esk Valley Lodge

Update: Here is a 9 year old Lilith and her little sister looking at the view from the farm.


Update:

I received this email from the current owners..I would never make an historian:
Lilith



I came across your blog by accident and saw the picture of the house in the Esk Valley. Just to set the record straight, there was no tidal wave that flooded the valley! I think in your childhood you heard your relatives talking about the Anzac day flood of 1938 which did indeed flood the whole valley with sediment meters deep. I also think you are confusing the red roof of the barn with the house. The house roof was green from when it was built in 1947 to when we reroofed in 2004! I attach a picture of the barn that may bring back memories.


I do not have any photos from where you and your sister were looking over the fence but I have attached the closest which isfrom the house balcony. You will recognise the hills in the distance. I attach a picture from the hill behind the house to give you some perspective.


Jes





29 comments:

idle said...

Did he add the top floor as an afterthought, or was that the cunning design?

lilith said...

Yes, Idle, it got expanded more than once. The current owners have re-roofed and changed the line. It wasn't split like that as I recall. I will see if I can get my hands on an old picture.

lilith said...

I see what they must have done..in the second photo of their stream you can see that the dormer windows were expanded to stretch the length of the front. I think the balcony is new too. It was always a roomy place anyway.

Scrobs... said...

Stunning pics Lils, and thank you for bringing this gorgeous house to the throng!

I see friendship and love all over the design! I'm going to stare at this for ages now...

Years ago, there were several books about Jalna in my parent's house, (Mrs S loved the tales too), and I always imagined the house to be - er - just like this...

Uncanny eh?

lilith said...

Deeply uncanny, Scrobs :-) Thanks for the idea. I loved the place and fantasised about how I could buy out my uncles for years, although never came up with any ideas...the current owners obviously love it so I can move on...

Trubes said...

Hello Lils;
What an interesting place, stunning scenery...I could just eat one of their breakfasts now, as I'm starving.
I bet you'd like to visit there again, the rooms look lovely.

If it meets with the approval of Scrobs, it's got to be good!

Di.xx

P.S. Welcome back.Dx

Weekend Yachtsman said...

Delightful, thanks.

I commented over at Scrobs.

METODY said...

Hello again Lilith! Ho! I had no idea how on hard times you has fallen. Metody is so sorry for you and your family.
Where you live now, even though you have made it look as good as is possible is rubbish compared to this place you show. But do not dispair Lilith!

Metody is also been down on luck recently. Also he can not get into old blog for some reason, so he is open another one. Still nobody wizit with Metody, even though his family did not help with the Nazis during the war.

lilith said...

I would love to visit, Trubes. My Dad has been and stayed and he was very pleased with it.

lilith said...

Thanks WY :-)

lilith said...

Metody, so true so true. Anything after that is a come down...I am not sure that I could ever better it for the landscape or climate.

I can't understand why nobody visits you.

Hemulen said...

Its a lovely spot indeed. I love Hawkes Bay.

Blue Eyes said...

Didn't realise you were an Aussie! Will now imagine every that sentence is raised to a question and every post ends in an "ahh yeah?!".

;-)

lilith said...

I am glad that you got there Hemulen :-)

Blue Eyes, you what, guv? An Aussie? I remember starting school at 5 and being incensed at being described as an Aussie....;-)

Philipa said...

Lovely House, Lils. Well both Scrobs and yours are splendid abodes. Love the views too, stunning.

electro-kevin said...

My granpa built his own house too.

Unfortunately for us he did it after he'd gone senile and it was built using his own shit.

Not much re-sale value there. Though the sweetcorn did look remarkably like pebble-dash.

Metody Jankowiak said...

In Hradec even Dodi Dudek makes own house! At moment Metody sleeps in wery nice place he build near the Jack Nicklaus golf course development in Llanelli. Not even using nails, just glue made from bones of rabbits! But it keeps rain out of gravy, and is wery fine place to bring back females.

Lils, no man make wisit to Metody because he is ‘crude, disgusting wretch.’ This is what lady say to me. If they saw into Metody’s heart though, they would see that sometimes even the face of little pug brings tear to Metody’s eye, so that he to the apothecke hast to go for to buy some Vik.

lilith said...

Metody some of your little ways do indeed scare the natives. But I know that you are someone who makes the best of limited resources and circmstances. Perhaps if you had teenage children assimilation would be easier.

killemallletgodsortemout said...

Superb, Lils, just superb.

Metody Jankowiak said...

For having teenage children Lils this could not be, as wifes in Hradek is only just becoming sixteen herself, so oldest man child is still only five year.

Ms Smack said...

Now THAT is a gorgeous house.

Hope you're well Lil xxx

lilith said...

Metody, I am pleased to hear you left your wife and son back home. I hope you are claiming child benefit.

Thanks Killemall and Ms Smack...it is very lush isn't it.

Scrobs... said...

After all this comment, it really is a scrungingly lovely house Lils...

Calfy said...

I really like the picture of you and Aunt.

lilith said...

Thanks Scrobs :-)

We were cute, weren't we, Calfy :-) Especially Aunt.

woman on a raft said...

That's spooky. Elsewhere Mr Elby has been remembering Whitby - which is a fishing port on a wide bay formed where the River Esk flows in to the North Sea. They also have a website - www.eskvalley.com.

Presumably the NZ one was named for the NYorkshire one - but what a coincidence that you should both be connected to the same name.

lilith said...

It is just one of many spooky coincidences that follow me around, WOAR...recently I sent a postcard from Syria to an friend. (I almost never send postcards, and on this trip I only sent three.) She received it two weeks after I got home but the name of the place pictured on it (some roman ruins neither she nor I had heard of, and which I hadn't visited either) turned out to be the answer to the one clue she couldn't solve in that day's crossword puzzle...

apricotfox said...

Oh to be in NZ!

-eve- said...

I like that picture...! It reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, somehow... :-) Very classic farm pic, too - no wonder the Beast dreams of a farm :-)