Friday, 11 September 2009

Funny comment on Dale shock

Nightmare. The news that we are all suspected paedos, drunk drivers, smokers, and generally not fit to be around children really depressed me today. I occasionally work with children and many of the adults I work with could be described as "vulnerable" but I have no idea if this new legislation applies to me as every one I work with comes to me voluntarily and we have a private agreement that I try and help them.

Raedwald and Angels in Marble both blogged on this today, and so did Iain Dale and I am too frothingly furious to add anything coherent.

This comment under Dale's post made me laugh.

Duyfken said...

This reminds of a recent anecdote from Australia. It is a portion of an ABC interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended.

14 comments:

electro-kevin said...

Good put down.

mutleythedog said...

Excellent - though sexist as men could also be prostitutes...

Elby the Beserk said...

Mutley - but the General wasn't addressing a man!

Elby the Beserk said...

Mutley,

Have you got another dog?

rvi said...

Can anyone please arrange for the General to come and do some interviews on the Beeb? Just imagine Kirsty's face if she had got an answer like that!! Thanks Lil, made my day this has.

Thud said...

Put mutley down.

Anonymous said...

Yes I saw that comment and liked it too, good post, Lilith. My comment didn't get through due to a posting conflict. My point was: do people know the procedure for tackling peados? Men are not at a disadvantage. In fact it is very difficult to get a man interveiwed by the police let alone convicted when they do not live with a child, are not the primary carer or employed to care for children. Especially when the child is too young to accuse. The subject is so sensitive that people generally turn away such that the family members left to deal with this are ostracised in society. This legislation would have done nothing to prevent Huntley. Nothing.

lilith said...

No, Anon, it won't protect children. A friend of my girl's was abused (aged 7) by the father of one of her friends. He got at several other girls in the village too. But he had no record, and besides, the babysitting he did for the children in his village was a "private arrangement". In other words he was trusted. This WILL NOT PROTECT CHILDREN.

lilith said...

Thud, how insensitive...Mutley has already been put down....

RVI the Australians have a knack with their insults.

rvi said...

Slightly off topic probably, but I have just seen a decidely ill-looking and bloated Elton John on the tellynews talking about adopting a boy child orphan. This strikes my untrusting mind as rather odd - to put it no higher. Would you trust him and his partner to behave themselves? Or is it just me and my twisted thinking?

Trubes said...

Cracking riposte from The General, Lils.
That put little Miss PC back in her box!

Di.x

lilith said...

Elton John has well publicised anger problems. He stikes me as a narcissist and that is not good in the upbringing of any child. I would have thought he is too old to qualify in any case. I have however, never heard from any source that he finds children sexy, only that he is a primadonna, stroppy, self regarding, vain, previously coke addicted, self aggrandising bore who had a few hits back in the seventies when someone else wrote the songs. If he hadn't been buddies with Princess Di (!) nobody under 45 would have heard of him today. Oh yes, he donated the proceeds of Candle in the Wind reprised at Di's funeral to charity, but he made half of the proceeds for himself as he made it a double A side and thus pocketed a massive fortune on the back of her death. Yuck.

lilith said...

Yes Trubes. We need more like that one :-)

Philipa said...

Blimey I didn't know that about the double A side. Yuck indeed.