Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Don't expect your local Bobby to help uphold the law.

Today I visited an old friend (82) and told her the good news about Calfy. Her cleaner was there, and my friend was so overjoyed on my behalf that she told her my good news about Calfy winning her appeal. This was the response:

I told you about X didn't I?

No?

X was catching a train home with his wife from Bath station late in the evening. Some tourists were smoking on the station. X went up to them and told them it is against the law to smoke on English railway stations. The tourists ignored him. X saw two policemen and went up to them to say that he had informed the tourists that it is illegal to smoke on a railway station. The policemen ignored him. X again went up to the tourists and reiterated that they were breaking the law. The tourists ignored him and continued to smoke. X went back to the police and asked them if they were going to do anything about it. The police then threw X down the station stairs, injuring him significantly, hand cuffed him and took him to the (nearby) police station. They swabbed him for DNA, finger printed and photographed him and kept him overnight. Luckily for X, he was with his wife (a solicitor) and another woman waiting for a train saw everything. His wife was not allowed to see him. Naturally the cctv cameras in the station were "not working" on the night in question. This is Bath police, not the Met. (The Bath police are famous for NEVER EVER SOLVING A MURDER. Even when there is a lot of evidence...we have lost a number of women called Melanie, generally killed by their foreign boyfriends who were allowed to return home immediately.)

14 comments:

idle said...

I don't know what to make of this story. On the one hand, plod were vicious, stupid and criminal to treat X as they did.

On the other hand, irritating a couple of harmless open-air smokers, telling tales to the police, and making a health-fascist nuisance of himself? And then saying some unwise things to plod, along the lines of how to do their job?

X doesn't deserve much sympathy.

lilith said...

I know Idle, as a smoker/ex smoker, part of me thinks "fuck off X". But really. Bath police are bloody useless. They are never there when you need them and don't do their job when they are there. The smoking laws are crap. But was it necessary to throw the poor chap down 20 or so stairs?

Blue Eyes said...

Could the cleaner be embellishing or exaggerating at all?

It's one thing to be useless, quite another to be throwing people down steps...

Scrobs... said...

Pity about the plod bit Lils, I haven't seen one round here for ages, not actually sure whether we even have one...

Apart from that, what a pity the cleaner had to trump your story. That's much more important.

Bad manners to try and better anyone's good news.

BTW, thanks for letting us regain The Ashes, I knew you would somehow...

Anonymous said...

A number of women called Melanie?

Huh?

Maybe I'm too cynical, but this sort of vaguely-insane green-ink type throwaway remark inclines me to doubt the whole anecdote.

Philipa said...

My recent experience of the police taught me to be afraid, not only of their incompetence but of their obvious agenda against the innocent. This sounds paranoid, I know, but your story proves I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

lilith said...

Anon, green ink? vaguely insane? Tell that to the parents of Melanie Road (murdered 1984, Arab boyfriend rushed home) and the parents of Melanie Hall (murdered 1996, Swedish (?) boyfriend rushed home) or the dozen women raped by the "Bath Rapist" or the friends of Kevin Muhyiddin,(admittedly not called Melanie)...Nobody can persuade me that Bath police are competent or available.

lilith said...

Scrobs, I hadn't thought about it like that (trumping!). I am happy to do whatever it takes to keep the Ashes, even if it means missing the action :-)

Blue Eyes, I didn't get that impression(exaggeration). The cleaner saw the state his arms were in afterwards.

Pip, after my experience with Calfy I have zero confidence in the Police.

fuchsia groan said...

Hey Lilith, great news about Calfy, good to see common sense finally prevailed. I have to say though, I agree with Idle about X. X didn't deserve a roughing up by plod, but anyone who goes snitching to the authorities is a thoroughly bad sort.

lilith said...

I was three sheets to the wind when I posted this, Fuchsia, but X really didn't deserve what he got for what he did. Lovely to hear from you again. Work ok?

fuchsia groan said...

Hi Lilith

Been very, very busy indeed :-)

How are things with you?

lilith said...

I am so glad Fuchsia. Things have been slow for a year or so now. Thinking about studying for a Law Degree, although I would be well into my 50s before qualifying....alternatively moving to a cave somewhere and living on fish and seaweed.

-eve- said...

LOL! This one sounds just like our police over here ;-) hehehe

lilith said...

I am not quite ready to swap our police for your police, Eve :-)