Thursday, 20 November 2008

Police love an easy target: cheers Jacquie!

A friend of a friend (FF)was driving home at around 11pm on Sunday night. He had had his customary pint and a half with a mate, left the pub and rang his wife to say he was picking up a takeaway and on his way home. His journey home took him across the edge of the red light district (Cowley Road, Oxford). As he turned into a side road to transfer to the Iffley Road a woman with loads of bags ran towards the vehicle and into the front of it. FF was going very slowly, negotiating the cars parked either side of the narrow side street so she wasn't hurt. In a flash she was round to his passenger door and into the vehicle, bags, stench, insane burblings and all. "Drive" she says.

Now, you and I might have demanded she get out. Or we might, like FF be shocked and compassionate, and think "It's late, she's off her head on the street, she looks messed up, perhaps I should take her where she needs to go". He takes her a few hundred yards, during which it becomes apparent that she is a crack whore. He demands she gets out. When he stops to get her out there are policemen right there. His passenger is known to them. Next thing he knows he has been arrested for persistent soliciting. I am sure it must be dropped as he has not "persistently solicited" and the police have no evidence that he has. But ghastly experience all the same.

Gentlemen, lock your doors when driving home late at night.

17 comments:

idle said...

The FF was a bit of a berk, even if he was a well-intentioned one. Let's suppose she wasn't a crack whore, just screwy: just by driving a few yards after she'd got in, he was responsible for her safety, had a duty of care, yada yada legal bullshit.

This is modern Britain. Don't put up with any crap. Pick up a hitchhiker at your peril.

lilith said...

Yes Idle, that was my response. But even so, the Police in that area are under a lot of pressure to clean it up from the local residents. So anyone will do. I can't see her word against his standing up in court.

Philipa said...

Oh my goodness what an awful thing to happen. That poor sod. Actually I have a couple of friends, intelligent chaps, who would have done the same thing - felt sorry for her and done exactly the same. It is sad that you an't help people now for fear of the consequences.

Lucien Modo said...

He was lucky didn't brake hard on stopping, causing his penis to fall out of his trousers, and said crack-whore to lurch forward and accidentally get it stuck in her mouth... if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

Lucien Modo said...

... he.

Lucien Modo said...

I also remember a similar accident when an uncle of mine was helping a chorister up some wet steps one January evening.

Tuscan Tony said...

Prob is that the FF story is as well-worn as Marilyn Monroe's knicker elastic. I'm sure he's as pure as the driven S, though many would doubt that. Don't do Samaritan stuff in modden Britten, loike, is the solution, sadly.

Blue Eyes said...

In a completely different set of circumstances I was on my way to return a hire car in a small town in the US when a scruffyish gent walked up and asked for a lift three blocks away. It was quite hard to reject the London assumption that he was up to no good but there was a lingering suspicion. I think he was just lazy.

The Beast Of Clerkenwell said...

Lilith
Had he ejaculated all over the womans face due to being in a state of shock as the police pulled him over?
It happens to me all the time.

The Beast Of Clerkenwell said...

Mr Modo
Was your uncle taking this youngster up the belfry?

idle said...

It is said that what really happened in an office in the Palace of Westminster all those years ago was that GayGordo was demonstrating the Heimlich maneouvre to Mandy when Mandy tripped forward, at the same time that his trousers fell down, and that Gordon's zipper was faulty.

Coulda happened to anyone.

Lucien Modo said...

No Mr. C. I think uncle intended to show the young lad how to have a three in hand.

The Beast Of Clerkenwell said...

Mr Idle
If only Mandy had worn "Cuban pants "
this whole sorry episode woud have never occurred.

Mr Modo
Your uncle is blessed with an extra testicle?
My medical assitant would be keen to see a photo.

Dennis said...

Did somebody mention belfries?

lilith said...

Haha hahha! I love these comments. I guess, maybe I am naive, but you guys don't seem too sympathetic?

electro-kevin said...

Funnily enough I met the former barman (and rowing cox)of the Ship Inn.

I asked him why he was no longer working there and he said he'd been done for nicking out of the till.

"No ! What on Earth are they on about ? You're as pure as the driven snow, P !"

"I know I am. They'd set up a CCTV and saw me putting till money in my pockets."

"Err - P, why would you be putting till money in your pockets ?"

"Well it was easier for me to carry it from the customer to the till with my hands free."

Rrrrright.

mutleythedog said...

Think how many cops were involved in that particular charade..its all about targets for arrests in particular crimes. I.e is bollocks. Another thing is reclassifying crimes e.g lots of 'burglaries' are now called 'theft in a dwelling' - meaning the stats for burglaries have shrunk...