Saturday, 24 May 2008

Football Widow

Elby has gone to Wembalee for the playoff final between Bristol City ("The Shit Heads") and Hull (I don't know what their nickname is). Two of his children are treating him to the day out :-)

I, on the other hand, am avoiding the stress and staying home in my semi rural setting.

Big stress this morning however, and Elby nearly cancelled as we slowly realised there was something wrong with Pig. Normaly, if we get up early, Pig ingores us for a bit as his bed is comfy and warm. Today however he just stayed in bed, even after we had had breakfast, and didn't move, not even a big stretch.

At about 9 there was a bang and Pig thought he ought to get up and investigate. Woof! But he could barely stagger to his feet. Elby lifted him out of bed and he couldn't put down his right back leg, or indeed, sit down, and he just stood there looking uncomfortably twisted, with his tail down and his foot raised. We carried him outside, wondering if he was just stiff from his walk yesterday and being in bed overly long...but 15 minutes later he was still not moving, and didn't even try to have a pee...

Elby lifted Pig into my car, instructing me to let him know exactly what was going on, otherwise he would worry all day. But Pig and I were back from the vet before Elby had left. As soon as we got there Pig jumped normally out of the car and dragged me into the vets. We were seen immediately, by a girlchild-vet and Pig peed on her door.
He suffered the indignity of a thermometer up his bottom. She squeezed his spine and knees and hips. Then she said she thought it was probably pins and needles....

11 comments:

Philipa said...

So sorry to hear Pig is poorly, Lil. Good news that he peed, eventually. Keep us informed?

*hugs*

x

Lilith said...

I think he is fine, Pip. Fingers crossed. Gave us a fright though...

idle said...

I fear that the Brizzle fans will not be a bundle of laughs when they return, lil.

My advice with dogs (well, labradors) that refuse to get out of their beds is to offer them the bacon rinds after eating your breakfast. The idle dog would be out of his scratcher like a bullet.

Lilith said...

Yes, Idle. Splendid advice. And on the bacon rinds too...Pig seems fully recovered and is growling at me right now to throw his grenade. Seems like it was a bad case of expensive Pins and Needles.

Elby the Beserk said...

Idle,

Entertaining day despite the results; and BCFC for me my "second" team {I am of the 'always support a local team} fold}, my first love. Hate. Love. Hate. Love, being Manchester City. I am an adoptive Southern softie, having spent my formative in Cheshire near Stockport. Fans on the whole didn't seem to pissed off, and a good rowdy day had by all fans.

Wembley's pretty impressive - as one who first attended the place in 1969. Man. City 1 Leicester City 0, when it held 100,000, the large majority standing, it is somewhat different. But you can make a good racket there, and the sightlines are impressive even up in the corner Gods as we were.

Tip, should you ever go there from these parts. Go to Beaconsfield, up from J6 Slough (past Wernham & Hogg. Not really, but bits of it could be. We toyed with going to Chasers after the game...), and take Chiltern Line to Wembley Stadium station.

idle said...

Thanks for the advice, e the b.

My local team would have to be Pompey, so I suppose I can celebrate a cup win this season after all, despite the Moscow penalty lottery debacle.

I doubt being promoted to the top league would have done BCFC any favours, frankly.

electro-kevin said...

"Pins and needles. That'll be £50 for the 30 second consultation, madam."

grumpy grandad said...

...or, as my esteemed model, the grandad in the Custard The Cowardly Dog cartoons would say: STOOPID DOG!!!!!

Trubes said...

Hello Lilith, I've just come across this about Pig, I do hope he's fully recoverd from his 'health scare'. Such a fine young Pig Pup, glad to read he's normally a good guard dog. We have a Cockatiel, Chico, who acts as a guard bird and shrieks like a siren at the slightest noise outside of the house.
Hope you, Elby and Dear Daughter are well.

Di.xxx
Give Pig a big hug from Auntie Trubes.xxx

Scroblene said...

Morning Lils, likewise as Trubes' post, sorry not to have been there, trying to help Pig get better...

Elby must be a strong guy to be able to lift him!

I've just started with JRT's identity disc renewal - it's more complicated than filling in a tax form... (or MP's expenses form - cheating bastards...).

Don't read Guido if your blood pressure is anywhere near the top echelon - it'll hurt!

Lilith said...

Actually Kev, the girlchild-vet only charged me £28 as presumably she is the eldest daughter of the vet and couldn't charge a full fee, being still at school doing GCSEs.

Pig is absolutely fine, Scrobs, Trubes, GG. Pins and needles/dead leg entirely explain his symptoms. Too much laying about being pampered and cooed at, not enough hard graft. And that is just me.