Thursday, 29 November 2007

Sad



This Handsome Hound is called Hamish. He has just been put down: he was very old and sick.

Hamish was my first true doggy love. He belonged to my daughter's godfather who ran a van/removal business and so Hamish's job was to guard the van and threaten parking wardens, whenever they were parked on double yellows. He took his job very seriously and Godfather never got a ticket when Hamish was on duty.

He made us all laugh so much. His gait was similar to a shopping trolley with a dodgy wheel. He was unbelievably clumsy. He weighed a ton and would gradually push you off the sofa. He loved watching "One man and his dog". He retired to the country a couple of years ago but never got over his fear of cows. He loved Blondes and would turn on the charm for them, barking at them, then smiling when he had their attention through the van window. I think he read the Sun. I am sure we were lovers in a past life.

I miss him.

13 comments:

Philipa said...

It's always sad when a beloved pet dies, like losing a friend. So sorry to hear of your loss and hope your friend is in doggy heaven chasing traffic wardens and smiling at blonde angels :-)

fuchsia groan said...

How sad. We had to have our 18 year old cat put to sleep and it was heartbreaking. We now have another cat, he is a real character. Because he has extra toes, he has a funny, plodding walk, not at all graceful like most cats.

Daisy said...

it is so hard to lose friends...i am sorry for your loss lilith...i know every time i lose a pet (even one i didn't own but owned me) i feel a loss...i have found though that they somehow give us other dog friends to help us through...i know that sounds stupid but i have found it to be true...take care...

electro-kevin said...

I'm sorry too, Lilith. I've never forgotten my dog, Barney. I had him from when I was 13 and we lost him when I was 26 - from boy to man. I cried more than I've ever done for a relative.

Bless

Lilith said...

This dog really got to me. Not even Pig gets to me like that. Not yet, anyway. I was a fool for him :-) Thank you. Our sweet familiars. The interaction between species is extraordinary and quite magical.

Tuscan Tony said...

Aaahhhh. I'm missing Woody the worlds smelliest dog right not. I am pretty sure he and I neve been lovers though.

True Blue said...

Ahh, Lilith I feel your grief. Hamish sounded a wonderful dog.
I had to have my beloved Alsation, Victor, put to sleep, He was aged 14 and had arthritis in his spine.
That was 20 years ago and I still feel very sad when I think of him, he was a cracking Dog.
Enjoy Pig Pup Dog, he`ll cheer you up and will soon rate in the leagur of Hamish, believe me !
lol Di xxx

True Blue said...

P.S. Lilith Don`t know why my name has come up in black print, not blue. maybe because it was a condolence! Trubes "Witchery Skills", perchance ?

Lady Jane said...

Ahh.. your description fairly conjures him up.
Sounds like he had a good and productive life.. but its hard when they go:-(

idle said...

A superb post, lil. A paean to a great dog. And a wonderful photograph, which reminded me of Snaffles' "the Finest View in Europe", for some reason.

The Hitch said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww
I want another dog )+:

The Hitch said...

TT
No doubt the trusty hound rebuffed your drunknen advances due to his inate sense of good taste and decency. Hopefully the next day you received no more than a reproachful look over breakfast.

Lilith said...

They leave such a massive hole when they go, don't they?

TT, I am sure you and Woody were never lovers either :-)

Hitch, I have a theory that you NEED a dog.