Monday, 26 November 2007

Crap Estate Agents

Flat for Sale, Bermondsey, Surrey Quays, London SE16


How hard is it to sell a studio flat oposite Surrey Quays Tube?, 1st Floor, cheapest in the borough by a mile (unless you want a boat.) £120k down from £132k.

My friend has had this place on the market for a year. Ok, its just down the road from the Millwall football ground but some would see that as a bonus. (No one touches your car if you have a Millwall sticker in it.)

Yes, it's high rise, (but it is Listed!) The walls are so solid its hard to put up a picture or a shelf. It has a balcony from which the occupier can catapault ball barings at passing buses. So it is ex local authority. And the stairs smell a little. But there is a lift to the front door, which doesn't smell.

The Estate Agents have found one buyer in a year. This man quibbled on the price on the day of exchange and completion. He lost his mortgage offer. I rang the Agents to enquire about the place three weeks after this happened and they told me the place was "Long Gone". ?????? I have suggested that my friend puts it in the local paper.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?agentid=1697&opt=prop&pid=884832&photo=2#photo

15 comments:

mutleythedog said...

I personally think there is a lot of unsold houses about, near me a large company did a small mixed development, which was completed in February. There are still only two sold houses and one of the unsold small ones is boarded up.

Lilith said...

I think you are right Mutley. But in London?

Ed said...

The flat looks good to me. I bought a council flat and it's lovely. There are some lemons but most are built to quite a good standard. I looked at several high-rises and they were good flats.

I don't understand how your friend could have trouble shifting one so close to a tube station. Is it in good condition?

Lilith said...

It is freshly painted and carpeted throughout. It is due to get new windows (which run the entire front of the flat) and other alterations to the building which will cost 11K spread over a number of years. (Which is why the price has come down and which will hopefully add at least the equivalent to the value.) It could do with a new kitchen and bathroom, but they are functional as is. Service charges £400-£550 a year.

Lilith said...

I live in an ex council house too Ed. I love it. Although my neighbour said "I don't know why you bought a house in this shithole"...perhaps because he doesn't pay for his house he doesn't respect it?

electro-kevin said...

Privately built houses are crap by comparison to ex council. We sold a lovely one in Watford.

Ed said...

EK, I think it's NEW private houses which are rubbish. Pre-1930s they built good quality.

Lilith you are right about some people not respecting their homes. That was partially the idea behind RTB wasn't it?

Ed said...

The windows might put FTBs off. The previous owner of my flat was stung for four grand for new windows and tried to pass the cost to me. I made it clear that I would pull out if she tried to pull a fast one!

Scroblene said...

Lilith; Elder Daught had a flat near there some years ago, and it was fantastic! They called it (phonetically) Sooray Kways.

Since then, she and boyriend have bought a flat almost identical to the one you describe. Fantastic place, used to be quarters for prison officers, and built like a brick s***house.

Tell chums to stick there, not to worry, it will work, although it's not helpful having a dickhead for an estate agent. There are far too many finger-flicking 'estate' agents around, but never fear, because they won't be around much longer when our illustrious prime minister decides to print more money for his crack-pot economical fantasy.

Sorry they might want to move. It's part of being in this stupid society which prevents this, I'm sorry they are in such a hole...

Lilith said...

Thanks Scrobs. It will be right for someone. Methinks the Agents will have to go.

Scroblene said...

Sod it Lilith, I've just re-read what I wrote and the word 'hole' was inappropriate wasn't it!

I really meant that I was sorry they were in a state of insecurity, and understandably not happy with their status quo.

Oh bugger, I do dig huge pits of despond don't I...perhaps I'd better stop now...

Scroblene said...

Lilith! You're still here!

So sorry - hope I didn't offend...

Lilith said...

LOL Scrobs! NO! you didn't offend! Au contraire, Most Witty even if inadvertent!

mutleythedog said...

Well I didn't get it - am I stupid?

Lilith said...

No Mutley, not stupid, just not cynical. Scroblene described my friends as being "in a hole"!